Thursday, May 2, 2013

May Day Post

Hard to keep up with blog posts. Since February busier than ever. Sometimes we are busier than we ever were when we both worked and our  kids were still at home. Never enough hours in the day to get everything done! Our trip to Maui in March was wonderful. Ben who still lives in Maui stayed with us in our condo right on the beach. We saw many whales and turtles right from our property.  Great time discovering new restaurants, relaxing and talking. 
Studio visit from San Luis Obispo curator. We talked about my upcoming show in November 2013, detailing plans and looking at work that will be installed.  Even though most of the work is completed I have begun to make new work for this show. And I love what is being created. 
My work has been accepted into a new gallery for me, Gallery 104 in San Clemente, CA about an hour north of our house and studio. For the next three weeks I will be creating more art, listing all of the work that will go in the SLOMA show, submitting work for two local shows, teaching, and preparing for my art retreat trip to Taos, New Mexico in June.
I am also excited to share that I will be giving a talk and demonstration about encaustic at the Ashland, Oregon Art Center in July. Al and I will be going on a road trip through California, into Oregon, staying with and visiting good friends and family. We will be staying not far from Ashland. I suggested this demo and they were thrilled to have this opportunity. Me too!!
We have had lots of company with more to come.

Here is a new work called  Excavation. It is paper that had been buried in dirt for about 2 weeks,  rained on, covered with leaves etc. That part of the piece was placed on top of another paper that had been sewn, folded with leaves and plants and thrown into a dye pot. Both of these papers were combined and waxed into a weathered cupboard door.  I have been doing something called Eco dying, where you use natural plants to create images and... I am finally "rusting" paper and fabric something I have wanted to do for a long time.  More later.....


2 comments:

  1. Josie,
    I admire the many ways you continue to grow as an artist! The eco-approach you describe in the last paragraph of this blog entry is something I’m sure your fellow encaustic artists would, er, dig.

    ReplyDelete